|The Institute of Chemistry was established under the name of University Chemical Laboratories in June, 1923. The building was designed in Indo-Saracenic style.The opening ceremony was performed by Sir E.D. MaClagan, the then Governor of the Punjab and Chancellor of the University on 22nd March, 1924. It was the first discipline in science that was started at the University. The Institute had a leading role in teaching and research before independence.|
Over the past years, the Institute of Chemistry has privilege to produce many eminent Scientists of National and International repute. The graduates of this Institute are holding positions of eminence in Education, R & D Organizations and Industries as well as in administration at home and abroad. Dr. Khorana, student of this Institute, has been awarded Nobel Prize. Many others have also gained international recognition in higher education and research. The Institute remained well known for its pioneer work in some fields of research,i.e., Magnetochemistry, Carbohydrate Chemistry etc., and many renowned Scientists including Professor A.H. Compton, a Noble laureate, worked in the laboratories of this Institute.
In the field of research, the Institute played a leading role since its establishment. From 1947 to-date more than 1300 research papers have been published by the faculty of the Institute in National and International Journals. The faculty of this Institute participated in the initial stages of textbook writing and were the pioneers in chemistry curriculum development. Several books on various subjects of Chemistry have been written by the staff of this Institute. After 1947, more than 78 scholars have been awarded Ph.D. degree in Chemistry from this Institute. At present, more than 130 Ph.D. students have been registered and are working on various research projects. Many research projects funded by National and International Agencies have been successfully completed and seven are in hand.
Apart from teaching, research is becoming a very significant part of academic activities of this Institute. This is due to the presence of highly qualified Faculty, the availability of sophisticated research facilities and grants from the University/Government Funding Agencies. For effective exploitation of the experience, skills, technical know-how of the teaching staff and to impart training to the students, the following fields of specialization have been developed: Physical Chemistry Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Polymer and Applied Chemistry.
The Institute of Chemistry has now been shifted to its new premises at Quaid-e-Azam (New) Campus where more facilities of research are planned.